How to setup a blog for your site
Many websites will benefit from having a blog to post articles and provide updates and news for your users. The directory software will work with any external blog platform of your choice. All you need to do is setup your external blog, let us know where it is, and we will create a subdomain on your site that will appear to host this external blog on your own domain.
For example, if you setup a blog that is hosted at http://my-blog.tumblr.com, we will create a subdomain on your own site like this:http://blog.YOUR-DOMAIN.com. When a user visits this URL, they will see the content on http://my-blog.tumblr.com but it will appear as if the content is hosted on your own site at http://blog.YOUR-DOMAIN.com. Even when users click on links in the blog, etc the URL they will see will continue to be http://blog.YOUR-DOMAIN.com, giving the appearance that the blog is actually hosted on your own site.
To set this up, please follow these steps:
Setup the blog on the platform of your choice. We highly recommend tumblr.com as it is completely free to do this kind of domain mapping, is very easy to use, and has lots of great templates to choose from, but you could use any platform. Some other options include your own hosted WordPress installation, a wordpress.com blog (an upgraded/paid wordpress.com account would be required for mapping a subdomain to a blog hosted here), blogger.com, etc)
Email us the URL of the blog you have setup and let us know you would like us to create the blog subdomain for you
- We will complete the setup on our end and email you right away once it is up and running
Setting Up A Tumblr.com Blog (recommended blog platform)
If you were interested in setting up a blog on tumblr.com as we would recommend, please follow these steps to get it setup:
- Email your coach (or send an email to email@example.com) and let us know what subdomain you would like to use for your blog (EG blog.YOUR-DOMIAN.com) and we will complete the steps outlined in the “Pre-login steps” section of tumblr’s instructions.
- Once we have completed those steps for you, we will email to let you know that it is time to move forward with the setup of your tumblr account.
- Once you receive this email, navigate to http://www.tumblr.com
- Sign up for a new blog
- Once you have finished setting up your new blog, please follow the steps labeled as “Post-login Steps” shown here: https://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains Note: It may take up to 48 hours from the time we complete step number 1 above before you will be able to complete step 5